A HISTORY OF CLEARVIEW LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT

Back to CHS History Home Page

In 1923 a new school was constructed at the present day Clearview High School location, consisting of six rooms, two restrooms (indoors), an office, and an auditorium/gymnasium. This new school was called Highland and housed grades four through eight. Highland was part of the Sheffield Lake School District. Grades one through three were still taught at the wood schoolhouse on 46th Street. In 1927 an addition was built onto Highland, adding six more classrooms. With the splendid combination of auditorium/gymnasium, the school building became an active community center. It was used four evenings each week and also held Sunday school classes on the Sabbath.

Our present school district was initiated with a petition being filed with the Lorain County Board of Education on April 9, 1928. This petition was granted and the first Clearview Board Meeting was held on May 28, 1928. The first school board consisted of: C.A. Bemis, C.R. Bernett, Miss Effie Moulton, Albert Slovek, Alexander Fazekas and Mrs. John Gens.

The original boundaries of the Clearview Local School District were much different then the present day boundaries. Most of the present day streets, particularly those west of Broadway, were not built; so corporation and farm lot lines were used.

Utilizing modern landmarks and streets, the original boundaries were as follows:

Starting at the mid point of Black River, at East 36th Street, to the west, following the center line of E 36th Street to West 36th Street. Then continuing through the land where Lorain Catholic School now stands, going west, to north of present day West 37th Street, through the southern part of St. Peter’s Catholic Church and school property, to the center line of Oberlin Avenue. Extending south along Oberlin Avenue to land just south of Westwood Drive. The line then turned west , to approximately present day Edgewood Drive, turning south again, to the center line of Foster Park Road. Then turning east, following Foster Park Road, to the center line of Black River, under the Garfield Bridge, and following the Black River back to the starting point at East 36th Street.

Highland’s biggest change came in 1930. The school size was doubled as new home economics, manual training, and mechanical drawing rooms were built. Boy’s and girl’s restrooms with hot water showers and a library were added to the existing school. The gymnasium and auditorium were remodeled, boasting a seating capacity of 555. The new addition made the school one of the newest and most advanced in the area. A dream had been realized.

Back to Top

In 1930 the name Highland was changed to Clearview, to reflect the new district, and the school was made a full scale high school, graduating its first class in 1931. The eleven members of that class were: George Arthrell, Bertha Faynor, Helen Futo, Harold Gray, Russell Hall, John Hegyi, Arnold Schindler, Freda Unger, David Wilding, Steve Kerekes, and Stanley Miller.

A public address system was added to the school in 1935 and a "talkie" movie projector was purchased for assemblies. Completion of the football field allowed Clearview to field a team for the first time in 1937. In 1940 shop classes were added, consisting of, manual arts, machinery, and automotive departments. A bus garage was added as well.

In September 1952, construction began on a new elementary school building located at the rear of Clearview. This new building was quickly given the name Durling Elementary School, in honor and memory of W.J. "Jake" Durling, Superintendent of Clearview schools from 1925 until his death in 1952. Construction took one year, and this new school included sixteen classrooms, one large all-purpose room with a cafeteria, an auditorium, a clinic, administrative offices, modern restrooms for both teachers and students, and a library. A public address system was also incorporated in this new building.

Back to Top


Our present bus garage was constructed in 1956 at a cost of $45,000. In 1957 the present gymnasium and junior high wing, consisting of nine classrooms, a band room, cafeteria, and offices were added to the Clearview building, all at a cost of $400,000.

Clearview’s science wing, which included physics, chemistry, general science and biology rooms, was provided in 1961. The present library, art, office practice, and drawing rooms were added in 1968.

The last change was the result of a fire in 1970. The front part of the building required major remodeling that created storage rooms, and offices that included the Treasurer’s office.

The next renovation occurred in 1999 at Durling and Vincent following approval of a $3.2 million dollar bond issue in May 1999. At Durling, 8 new classrooms were added as well as a new gym. At Vincent, 6 new classrooms, a cafeteria, and new library were added. The renovation at both schools were completed in time for students the fall of 2000.

As of this writing, the most extensive renovation in the district’s history is planned to begin January 2002. Thanks to the passage of a $1.4 million dollar bond issue in November 2001 that leveraged an additional $20.6 million from the Ohio State Facilities Commission, each of the district’s three school buildings will be renovated.

At the high school, many of the old sections will be demolished, including the auditorium, and replaced with new classrooms and a new auditorium. The total renovation cost at the high school will approximate $10 million.

At Durling, new classrooms will be added at a cost of approximately $6 million.

At Vincent, new classrooms and a new gym will be added at an approximate cost of $6 million.

Clearview has evolved into a school that has served a culturally, ethnically, and economically diverse student population that strives to get along. The teachers and administration have always lived by the slogan "ALL CHILDREN CAN LEARN."

The Clearview Local School District has been faithfully and fervently supported by its residents and alumni over these many, many years. Our school has always strived to repay this support by continuing to offer our students the best education possible and by maintaining the school district’s buildings and grounds in the very best condition. It is believed that this will justify the "Clearview Pride" felt among the far flung "Clearview Family."

Back to Top